It seems your browser has either disabled JavaScript or does not support it. Please note that parts of this site will not appear or function correctly without JavaScript. We reccomend you enable it or switch to a browser that supports it.

The CWMRL permits schools to photocopy from authorised hymn/song books and publications or from printouts of downloaded files.

This licence is only available as a supplement to the Collective Worship Copyright Licence.

Copyright permission is required to photocopy from most music publications, even if the copy is used only once.

In a publication, copyright usually exists in the typography as well as the creative work (you’ll often find details printed within the first few pages). The CWMRL is a convenient alternative to seeking permission from the publisher/owner each time you wish to photocopy their work. This means schools are free to photocopy the songs they want to, and ensures that copyright owners are fairly rewarded for the use of their work.


Reproducing Songs Under The CWMRL

There are two distinct copyrights that come into play when you wish to reproduce a song from a publication;

  1. There is a copyright in the words & music of the song
  2. There is a copyright in the typography of the publication itself


To legally photocopy, scan or share electronically a song from any music publication*, both the song (including words & music) and the music publication must be covered by CCLI licences (Authorised) or in the Public Domain.

*Includes hymnbooks (words only and music copies), publisher-made lead sheets & chord-sheets


Is the publication on the CWMRL Authorised Publication List or in the Public Domain (PD)?

The CWMRL Authorised Publication List is available here. A music publication becomes PD 25 years after the edition was first published.

YES – Go to step 2

NO – You are not permitted to photocopy, scan or share electronically anything from this publication.


Is the Song Owner on the CWMRL Authorised Catalogue List or are both the words & music PD?

Publishers usually assign songs to music catalogues. The CWMRL Authorised Catalogue List is available here.

YES – Go to step 3

NO – You are not permitted to photocopy scan or share this song electronically

 3 You may photocopy, scan and/or share electronically this song from this publication. Please ensure you report each copy made using the Online Reporting account for your church.

With the CWMRL your school can photocopy from publications such as:

Plus many others….

Licence Fees:

For state schools in England, Collective Worship licences will be paid for centrally by the Department for Education with effect from April 2015.

For all other schools the annual cost of the CWMRL is based on the number of pupils on the school roll. You’ll need a Collective Worship Copyright Licence (CWCL) to purchase a CWMRL. If you have a CWCL already, we’ll calculate the fee pro-rata to your existing expiry date. Contact us for details.

Collective Worship Music Reproduction Licence (CWMRL)
Attendance Category Licence Fee
1 - 49 AA £30.00
50 - 99 BB £46.00
100 - 249 CC £77.00
250 - 499 DD £107.00
500 - 999 EE £139.00
1000 - 1499 FF £170.00
1500 - 2999 GG £209.00
3000 - 4999 HH £269.00
5000 - 9999 II £360.00


Under the Terms of Agreement of your licence you are required to report which songs you photocopy.

Fair Dealing

Photocopying from music publications is not permissible within the scope of Fair Dealing.

Further Information

Fact Files: Collective Worship

This PDF features printable Fact Files about Collective Worship copyright, covering common questions such as ‘What counts as a reproduction?’ and ‘Can we change the words?’, plus information about showing copyright lines and completing your copy report.

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs about copyright in schools